Friday, April 1, 2016

Moved Zip Line

I moved the zip line to the other side of my backyard. This time I decided to make it much simpler. I used the concrete/rebar anchors like before but made some modifications. For the start, I used one 4x6 post placed 1' deep and balanced by two chains. For the end, I used two posts with a cross member on top attached to one chain/anchor. This way the kids don't run into the post at the end. I used 1/2" eye bolts on either end to attach the cable. I used some shackles and additional cable  and hardware to connect everything. Here is the maiden run video:
I still have to install rungs to climb up the start pole and a cable stop or bumper at the end but I am pretty happy with this. It took much less effort than my last design.


7 comments:

  1. Hi! We used your blog here in a big way to install our zip line - many thanks!! - the photos are great. One thing we did differently is instead of digging holes and making concrete anchors, we screwed heavy-duty mobile home anchors into the ground (this was an out-of-the-blue idea on the part of a good friend - no way that would have ever occurred to me - I was ready to - reluctantly - start digging!). We then used your pulley and chain system. It is working GREAT - it is super solid (and I weigh 220) - and the mobile home anchors were WAY easier to deal with than digging, big piles of dirt, and concrete! Thanks again - your blog is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that my blog was helpful. I wasn't sure if mobile home anchors would hold the tension. I'm glad they are working for you. Definitely easier than digging and mixing concrete.

      Delete
  2. How did you attach the balance chains to the 4x6?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eye bolts have nuts on them that can adjust the position and the main cable has a turnbuckle on it to adjust the tension as well. On the other side i used a cargo strap to tension the cables and attach them to the chain at the proper tension.
      I did have a problem with the vinyl coated cable, the vinyl eventually slipped off and i had to re-tension them without the vinyl covering.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will definitely be giving this a shot. The kids have been asking for one for ages.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I will definitely be giving this a shot. The kids have been asking for one for ages.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete