Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Concrete Anchor for Zip-line

This is my design for a concrete anchor to hold the tension of the zip line. I don't know how much weight this design can hold. It probably depends on ground conditions, depth of hole, geometry of hole, amount and type of cement, amount and type of rebar, and chain size and orientation.
I dug a hole about 2 feet deep, 3 feet across, and 2 feet long. I tried to make sure the base of the hole was wider than the top of the hole. Two rebar rods were impacted in the base of the hole angling away from the chain direction as shown. A third rebar rod was threaded through the last link on the heavy chain and placed behind the upright rebar rods. This arrangement is able to hold tension without any cement. Next, two 80 pound bags of concrete mix are prepared and poured into the hole. Dirt is packed on top of the anchor once the concrete sets.

3 comments:

  1. I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. See the link below for more info.


    #direction
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reply to your original post said: "I dug a hole 3 feet deep, 1 foot wide and 2 feet long." This post says: I dug a hole about 2 feet deep, 3 feet across, and 2 feet long." Which is more accurate? My guess is the first one since you used only 2 bags of concrete - which fills the first hole 7" deep and the second hole only 3" deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3 feet wide is correct since I used 3' of rebar lengthwise perpendicular to the pull of the chain. 2' deep and 1' wide seems right. The concrete did not fill the hole, dirt was placed on top of the concrete. The dirt weighs it down.

      Delete